Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just Shoot Me

When I went to the ranch a few weeks ago, people asked what I would be doing while I was there.  I told them I was going to help with the lambs since it was lambing season.  Doing what?  was the reply.  Oh, giving them shots and branding them, you know.  Response to that: You're going to shoot the lambs? 

Well, technically I did shoot the lambs, with a vaccination so they would live.  The point was help the lambs live, and not die.  And thus, I embarked on the first time I remember ever sticking a needle into a living animal.  Lucky for me it was practice for shooting myself just a few days later.  Yep, I left hospital visit #2 from the horse injury with a sharps container and a prescription for some very expensive blood thinners, which came not in pill form, but as injectibles.  For the last 2 weeks at precisely 4:30 p.m. (or thereabouts), I have stuck a needle in my tummy and watched as the syringe emptied and I could feel the liquid bubbling into the skin I was holding between my fingers.  I have to admit the last few days were really hard to do.  I think perhaps because I wasn't on really strong pain meds anymore and I could feel it a lot better - the needle prick and everything.  I'm happy I didn't have to do that any longer than I did.  And I am SO HAPPY it is over.  It's over.  No more shooting.  Thank goodness. 

I celebrated tonight with a bowl of ice cream.  It was definitely worth celebrating. The lid to the sharps container is closed and will not open again!

2 comments:

  1. YEAY!!! SO happy to hear it emmy! you're so tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't do it. They'd HAVE to prescribe something different for me. I can't remember the last time I even watched a needle injection.

    ReplyDelete