Friday, September 7, 2012

Wedding Shower #3

Last night I had my third bridal shower.
Wedding shower #1.  In Utah, my wonderful soon to be mother-in-law threw a shower for me with my friends and family from Utah before I moved to New York.  It was bittersweet because it felt part like a celebration and part like a going away party.  I had only been engaged a short time and I wasn't even used to saying 'I'm engaged' and thinking there really is a guy 2,000 miles away that I am going to marry and some day live with.  I still had trouble remembering to put my ring on my left hand.  I definitely couldn't refer to Darren as my fiance.  That was really hard to say.  So I was probably really awkward being in the spotlight and seeing people who found out I was engaged because they got a shower invitation. Oh well.  Life goes on.

Wedding shower #2. I kinda forgot about the one at the beach since it was a surprise until someone last night said, your family hasn't done a shower for you?  Then I thought - Emily.  How could you forget THE BEACH?!  Remember that surprise shower your cousins threw and you had to feel the hairy legs of your male cousins, uncles, brother, and was dad in there too?  Definitely unforgettable or maybe you can see why I tried to forget it.  Just kidding.  My cousins did an awesome job planning wonderful games. I'm still grateful for the miracle that my guess was correct on the hairy legs.  After all, living across the country from your fiance, how are you supposed to know what his hairy legs feel like? Divine inspiration.

Wedding shower #3.  A wonderful new friend in my new ward (yes, her name is Emily) threw a wedding shower for me last night.  I was so overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of everyone that came, most of whom I barely know.  I had no expectations of anyone even offering to do a shower for me here since I just moved here and I hardly know anyone. But so many people came and I was definitely showered with kindness and friendship.  I'm not sure if I'll make it in this ward.  Everyone is so friendly and they all serve each other and they are thoughtful.  I just keep to myself.  Being in this ward is going to require me to get out of my comfort zone and give away some of those cookies I bake instead of eating them all myself.  Good-bye selfish Emily.


2 comments:

  1. emmy! you're so popular! i was just explaining to my friend last night about how you're the golden child and part of my explanation was just that you're socially just so easy to love. people just can't help but love you... even before they really get to know you! i'm so glad all three of your showers were such a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that Carrie's comment was "deja vu" for me?? I have no idea why! :)

    ReplyDelete