Tonight, I had a dinner date. We have dinner night every Thursday. Last week we made my recipe of Italian Casserole (thanks to Kari Brown). Keep in mind, I'm dating a guy on the other side of the country. So since we are 3,000 miles apart, we each go to the grocery store and buy the ingredients for the same recipe. Then we go home and cook it. He has a 2 hour head start, but if we're lucky, we eat at the same time. This week, he wanted to make
Chicken Trombino, a new recipe neither of us had tried before. I love trying out new recipes. And I usually forget an ingredient, or have to improvise with some part of the recipe. Tonight, I spaced the cheese at the store. And I apparently don't have any oregano. Well, after scouring our apartment (no luck), I reached out to the girls that live in the apartment two doors down. No one was home. So I tried even harder - texted two girls in my ward - way out of my comfort zone to do that. One gal had some, but she wasn't home. So I made my way back to the store to get the cheese, and picked up some oregano as well....and everything turned out fine.
These are the flowers he sent me to start off the evening...that's the good thing about technology these days. A click of the camera phone sends several dozen bouquets of flowers to your special someone far far away.
Who made the better looking meal? Cast your votes.
 |
| Contestant #1 |
PS - he actually did give me the flowers in the back of this photo and they were dyed so they turned the water purple and pink.
 |
| Contestant #2 |
And it was delicious! Lightly breaded chicken with a tomato and roasted red pepper sauce, ooey gooey cheesiness on top. Mmm. You should try it. Speaking of ooey gooey. We're going to make the ooey gooey Deep South Gooey Butter Bars next week. Dinner is pretty stressful and I think this will be a nice change-up - especially since I won't be around to eat leftovers....Carrie made them tonight and apparently they were a hit. I can't wait!
How's that for long-distance dating? Definitely trying to make the most of it! It does require some creativity. Luckily Darren's pretty creative in that sense, cause I sure didn't come up with any of the ideas.
yum!!!! I wish I could have tried this dinner dates outcome! How fun:)
ReplyDeleteyou are TOO cute!! I wish I made dinner...ever! You are my inspiration
ReplyDeleteWow. I am totally impressed!!! I love this long distance dinner date idea. The flowers on the phone are a smashing hit. I love everything about this situation. Can't wait to hear more stories SOON!
ReplyDeleteThis is the greatest idea I have ever heard of. You are so a*m*a*z*i*n*g!
ReplyDelete