Monday, May 30, 2011

And the Rain Came Down

It is raining.  Big surprise.  Other than a few glimmers of sunshine and warm weather since last summer, it's been cold, rainy, or snowy - or a combination of any of the three  EVERY DAY.  Memorial Day weekend is here.  The pools should be open now, not the ski lifts.  Luckily I opted to go to Moab again where is was dry, warm and sunny!  But even Sunday and Monday, being back in Salt Lake with the cold and rain is depressing.  It's not even warm rain.  I'm cozied up in my bed with a huge blanket on top of my down comforter.  This is definitely a day to stay inside and read a book (which I was doing earlier).  Not to mention, I'm exhausted from a super busy awesome weekend.  Highlights from my trip - 23 miles on the mountain bike, a little hike up Negro Bill Canyon, I now know where all of the BLM campgrounds are and how full they get on Memorial Day weekend, didn't have to use all the sweatshirts, jackets and beanie hats I brought, got to fall asleep looking up at the stars inside my fabulous new tent, and ate lots of yummy cookies.  It was so nice to wear a t-shirt and coat for a few days.  But sleeping on the ground for two nights and several hours on a rocky bike path definitely wore my body out.

Pictures from the trip! Notice the blue skies - oh and the sunshine!

Overflow group campsite  - no fires allowed, so it was a good thing I had the fixins for sandwiches, or else we would have only had cookies for dinner.  

view from our campsite

We became very familiar with this sign after seeing it at the first 58 campgrounds we went to.  The BLM campgrounds down there are mostly first-come first-served, and many people came before us...

Out on our ride of the Bar M trail



This was my first time mountain biking in Moab.  People who come here 
to ride are really good because there aren't a lot of trails for my beginner skill level. 

Hiking up Negro Bill Canyon
We were crazy to want to hike after riding 23 miles.  I opted to turn around and go back to the 
campsite to take a nap, good thing Em was up for it as well!

1 comment: