Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The French Bakery

Yep, it's lunchtime again!  Today, my dad and brother were visiting from Georgia and we went to a nearby French bakery for lunch.  My dad loves French food.  And even more he loves French desserts.  Well, he loves pretty much any dessert.  So we ordered our food, then went up to the pastry counter and proceeded to order dessert.  Of course we had to do something while we waiting for our meal to come, and what better way to pass the time, than by eating some delectable delicious French pasteries! 

And people think I'm strange for eating ice cream before dinner.  Or like last weekend when I broke out the 'smores at our ward campout while my tin foil dinner was still cooking.  Or how I thought in my head how strange the receptionist was at the Dreyer's office this morning when she said she would offer me an ice cream bar, but it's too early in the morning to eat ice cream.  TOO EARLY for ICE CREAM?  When should eating ice cream EVER be limited by time??  So when I tell people I get it from my dad, today proved it. 

If you're in the Salt Lake area, try Gourmandise on 300 East and 250 South.  It's really good.

6 comments:

  1. Definitely agree that it's hereditary! It's so fun to go out to eat with Dad! Have we not had ice cream for breakfast at the beach? It's a 24 hour/day food for sure. How could you work at Dreyer's and NEVER eat ice cream in the morning? This was a great, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with liza. i think this post is spectacular. the summer before my senior year of highschool, i ate ice cream for breakfast every day. people thought it was crazy that my mom let me do that. little did they know the tolerance she'd built up for 24/7 sweets through all those years of marriage. and yes, nothing beats eating with dad. remember dad and me at key west?!?! i gained a full ten pounds that week. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know i just commented. but here i am, hanging out on my computer while chris watches the office on his. and the current scene is about "it's too early for ice cream." "no, it's never too early for ice cream." ha. just had to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my code word to type was just imelo. if that's not emmylou then i don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's a good thing your family is just a bunch of long and lean people! I'd eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, if I had the metabolism you do! (Although, I have been known to eat chocolate cake in the morning -- now there's a breakfast of champions!)

    You are such a fun writer, Emily! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend Sara's comment reminded me that I sent chocolate cake to Mom and Dad with Jeff several weeks ago (the triple chocolate, heavenly cake). Mom called and told me thank you, that when she saw the cake on the counter, she had some BEFORE she ate breakfast. I think we get it from both sides. I also have to add: I wrote a paper in high school about an eating out/bonding experience with Dad. Oh, the wonderful memories food creates.

    ReplyDelete