Friday, October 5, 2012

Post 2 Week 1


More pictures.  I think this is more for me to look back on, but enjoy if you want.  

We spent a morning walking around the northern end of the island.  

This picture is so we don't forget where we went.

we went up this one street trying to head back to our hotel and there were
some houses under construction. This was an amazing view
from the sidewalk we were on, through the 'house' and the water was just on the other side!

Then we found that there was a boardwalk on the other side of the
houses and we started walking along it instead of the street.  The view was much better!

The boardwalk ended and we had to walk along the beach in front on all the hotels.  This was a bridge going out to a hotel on a little island (which we later drove on with the scooter). 

I couldn't get enough of these views.  By this time, I was severely dehydrated and irritated that we weren't back at our hotel.  I might have been a bit sunburned on my shoulders as well.  We hadn't intended to be out so long.  But luckily none of that is captured in the pictures!

Darren LOVES motorcycles.  It's shocking to me that I married someone who loves motorcycles because I've been fairly opposed to them.  But I guess if I can ride horses, he can ride a motorcycle.  So, you can imagine his joy when we rented this moped/scooter for 24 hours.  He was in heaven. 

There are little speed bumps all over the island, so you couldn't go too fast for too long.  We did manage to find a stretch where we got up to 60 kph.  We even went 'off' roading' the second day and drove right along the cliff for a little way down near the southern point. 

We got 'take out' room service and took our dinner on the moped down to the southern tip of the island and had dinner watching the sunset...well, we were on the wrong side of the island for it, but it was still beautiful and peaceful (no one else was around) to be there in the evening. 

There is a little turtle sanctuary on the island and they had these little baby turtles in huge tanks.  So tiny!

at the turtle farm

We scouted out this little stretch of beach where no one else was and spent a few relaxing minutes listening to the waves.  On the beach where our hotel was, we didn't have any waves, so this felt like we were really at the beach. 

Despite the number of times I mentioned I wanted to watch the sunset, we weren't actually on the beach to watch it until the last day.  On our way over to stand on this pier, we saw a guy kneeling down proposing to his girlfriend.  How romantic.  

This cove was just around the corner from our hotel.

I think this was taken as we were on the ferry leaving the island. 

This is out of order, but this is the southern tip of the island. that we went to for dinner.  There is a small Mayan temple ruin there with lots of odd statues.  If you walk to the very end, there are stairs down and a boardwalk below the cliffs.  Since we were there afterhours and no one else was around, I didn't think we were supposed to go down there.  I was sure we would fall through a crack or slip and die.  It didn't help that right then Darren started wondering aloud how many Americans die in Mexico each year....I was glad we weren't a statistic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment