Friday, October 5, 2012

Sunsets and Waterfalls

Week 2 was our first week back in Buffalo!  It honestly was quite chilly and while I should have had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I'm now living with a guy, I was having a much harder time adjusting to the cold.  Lucking this past week it has been in the 80's and gave me a little reprieve before fall finally sets in.  

On one of those chilly nights, Darren wanted to go watch the sunset.  We have this amazing canal system here and the views are just beautiful.  Well, the canals we found were all tree-lined, so we made our way out to the Niagara River and watched the sunset over Grand Island.  What you can't see in the pictures is me under two blankets shivering to death, and Darren is wrapped up in his hoodie, pulled tight around his face.  He brought pretzels to throw to the birds and did that for about a good 30 minutes.  I'm adjusting to his love for wildlife.  We had a little birdfeeder outside the kitchen window which is always full of birdseed, and he keeps the squirrels and skunks well-fed also. Anyway, watching the sunset minus the birds and the cold was of course very romantic.

pictures with my phone at night aren't great. 

Along the canalways are some great walking trails.  I got out and did a little walking this evening close to the University. 

On Saturday we went to Letchworth State Park to enjoy the changing colors!  There are three magnificent waterfalls.  The timing was perfect to see the trees.

I think these were the Lower falls

Lower Falls again

These are the Upper Falls.  And yes, those are railroad tracks on the bridge above, and yes I did walk out on them.  

Upper Falls

The railroad tracks.  We kept seeing people up there and I thought it was a lookout point.  

View from the railroad tracks looking upriver from the  falls. 

One last picture of the Upper Falls
The Middle Falls - these were the largest.  And yes, we went in order of Lower,  Upper and Middle.  

On the way home, we stopped at this Pumpkin Farm and got a few pumpkins (including some baking pumpkins for pies!)
And we tried the pumpkin ice cream which literally tasted like pumpkin pie.  It was so good. 

This was a little arched footbridge that was built to connect both sides of the gorge.  The picture is a little washed out.  I think the setting was too bright on my phone. Sorry.

View looking down from the railroad tracks.  You can't even see the falls, but you can tell where the rocks drop off and the gorge begins.  


2 comments:

  1. great posts emmy! i love all the pictures and hiking looks like it was incredible! colorado is pretty but nothing to compare to the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous views and photos -- of New York and Mexico. I listened to your song and I think it's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. So romantic!

    ReplyDelete