Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Cooking Show

Back in grad school, I had awesome roommates.  They were a little younger than I was and brought out a fun, shall we say college side of me that I had long ago in my college days....yes, I think you'd be surprised I was 29.  One wonderful Sunday I was making funeral potato casserole for something.  Katie, Megan, and Kandyce were all sitting at theh counter watching me, and Megan picked up her camera and started video taping me.  This is the result of an impromtu cooking show....hopefully you'll enjoy it....we had commercial breaks.













In other news,
Music - I love listening to Hillary Weeks on Pandora on Sunday mornings.  The other artists that are mixed in are just great.  I love turning it on and feel very inspired each week.

Food - One of my goals for this year was to eat more fruits and veggies, less processed food, meat, sugar and dairy.  Notice I didn't eliminate anything, just a focus on shifting to more fresh foods.  I figured I eat enough meat, bread, sugar and such when I eat out, if I balanced it with just buying fruits and veggies for myself, I could make a big improvement in the healthiness of my diet.  What I've found is...it takes a lot less time to slice a tomato and avocado for dinner, or grab a bag of carrots and some cucumbers with hummus,  or wash off blueberries and raspberries, apples, and grapes than worry about cooking a big casserole.  I even get creative and make zucchini and sweet potato fries.  This week I also bought asparagus.  Mind you, I also eat some cereal that I already had in my pantry and use some almond milk (also from the panrty and maybe sometimes I slip some of my roommate's milk from the fridge).  Anyway.  I've done a REALLY good job of limiting my groceries.  I've found I eat a lot less, but still feel full and not uncomfortable like I've overeaten.  Someday I hope to get a cool blender and make green smoothies.  But first, I thought I'd try to get used to heavier proportion of the fruits and veggies whole.  Also - be aware that I've spent rare moments at home over the past two months where I've had time to even buy groceries.  So I am also proud of myself for my food choices while traveling.  I did branch out and attempt to eat McDonald's on a late night drive in Missouri last week.  That lasted all of a few bites of chicken nuggets before I immediately felt sick.  There's a reason I don't eat that stuff.   Bleh.

Shopping - I got some really good deals shopping in January.  I went consignment store shopping with my aunt and bought a fabulous slouch bag for $8.  It's been so handy for my recent travels.  It fits my magazines, kindle, journal, camera, wallet, sunglasses, water bottle, everything!  That was some money well spent.  Then on my purse kick, my red purse that I got forever ago is now worn and scuffed has been retired.  I was at another thrift store and found an awesome bright red Nine West purse for $9 - no scuffs or signs of wear.  It'll be a perfect spring purse.  Back at another consignment store, I found this beautiful sea green Pashmina scarf that is so soft.  I got a few compliments on it at the mall one day. I bought a little strand of pearls for $11 - which I need to wear today.

Travel - I went to Missouri last week for a career fair. I drove a Kia Soul.  It was probably the least favorite rental car I've had. I got home last Wednesday and I leave again this coming Wednesday - I deemed that long enough to put away my suitcase.  5 days - that's about the longest amount of time I've been at home since the beginning of January.

Odd people - last night my roommate had friends from church over for a game night.  I was out doing a few other things and came by later.  Everyone was having a great time.  There were a couple people I didn't know, but again I haven't been around much recently, so they could have been new and I was the odd one out.  Anyway.  Everyone was leaving and this one guy who had been sitting on a chair, moved over and got comfy on the couch.  No one else was on the couch or sitting down for that matter.  It was really clear that everyone was leaving.  Luckily someone said - Dude - are you staying?  Everyone's leaving.  He was clueless and was like - oh really?  oh, does that mean I need to leave too?  I was just going to stick around until someone kicked me out.   I'm thinking - What?!  Who is that clueless?  Then I asked my roommate who he was and she had no idea and didn't think anyone else did either.  What?!  How do you let someone in your house that no one knows and who just comes over to someone's house when you don't have any connection to anyone?  I sure hope someone invited him.  Otherwise that is REALLY CREEPY and I can't believe he was in my house.  I hope I've never done that before. If so, I apologize.

Dancing - I bet you didn't know I was a closet Spanish dancer...



3 comments:

  1. great post! did you get the dancing solo because you were the best and most experience one?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia, I am a good music video director wouldn't you say? Haha! So you certainly made Spain proud with those moves. Watching that video brought tears to my eyes...yes tears of laughter. I love your face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up...can't wait to spend some quality time with you in a few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete