Sunday, June 12, 2011

My pantry shelf

I was talking to some friends today about food storage.  I live in an apartment with roommates and there's not a lot of extra space for food you're not going to eat in a month let alone a year.  I used to cook a lot and have a lot of food 'options' on hand, but have since resorted to a more minimalist mentality. And people don't believe me when I say I have only sugar and paper towels on my self.  So here it is...

THE LIST.

a new box of cliff bars from costco
2  boxes of raisin bran, one box of Honey Nut Cherrios and a box of Rice Krispies
craisins
graham crackers
2 boxes of spaghetti noodles (used a coupon. got them for free!)
jar of homemade salsa
jar of Georgia honey
box of matches
box of plastic utensils
shortening
flour
sugar
almost finished bag of trail mix
can of almonds
vinegar
oatmeal
peanut butter
freezer bags
paper pates
powdered milk
cooking oil spray
hot chocolate
popcorn
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of green beans

Freezer: 2 lbs. of strawberries, 1 gallon bag of pecans, 1 bag of mixed vegetables.

Fridge: cheese, eggs, spinach, green onions, yogurt, applesauce, mayo, butter and salad dressing

So there's some good stuff there.  But nothing I can do much with.  I can't even make a PBJ sandwich.  I don't have jelly or bread.  No chocolate chip cookies because I don't have choco chips. I can't make any spaghetti because I don't have canned tomatoes or even sauce in a jar. For some people, what I listed above could be a list for a single trip to the grocery store.  I could survive over a week with what I currently have.  I'm sure I'd still be alive - probably all thanks to the 24 cliff bars I bought yesterday.

What's in your pantry?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's hilarious! I've been wanting to blog about the same thing, only my cupboard is worse right now. Mainly because I keep thinking, "Okay, after that event I'll go shopping"... and now it's "After Ragnar I'll go shopping"... but that still means I have to survive a few more days. You can check my blog for further details, but I am running on EMPTY! Luckily I DO have bread, peanut butter, and jelly, so that's a staple for now. A little bit of milk, nearly empty box of Raisin Bran, a few eggs, Gatorade, Spaghetti noodles, jar of Spaghetti sauce (phew), oatmeal, sugar, flour, brown sugar, etc.... more oatmeal, carnation instant breakfast drink mix... sunflower seeds (without the shell), rice-- uncooked. I wish I had bananas. :) Anyway... I hear ya on the lack of space for storage-- I have none!! Glad you can relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make a nice dinner with cream of chicken soup, spaghetti noodles, and green beans. :)

    Take your list times, I don't know, 100 and you'll have my house and pantry and food storage. But, I have a bit more incentive - and space, apparently -- than you!

    ReplyDelete