I like the idea of potlucks and they can be really fun. Kind of like a recipe swap. You get to try new dishes and eat a little bit of a lot of different things. I went to two just this weekend alone and I was even out of town Friday night! One thing I don't like about potlucks is that sometimes I end up spending more money on a 'side dish' than I would for a whole dinner for myself. I thought potlucks were good because you bring one part of dinner, but you still get to have all the parts. Does that make sense? Last night I didn't take anything. But then nobody else really did either. Bad potluck. And everyone just stands around nibbling and trying to chat and they really don't want to be there anyway, but there wasn't anything better to do, besides - it's 'free' food! Tonight, I took a veggie tray. And it was inexpensive. And everyone ate all the veggies. But still it was a 'BYOM' deal. Ok. Let me get this straight. I bring my own meat and a dish to share and I have to have awkward conversations with weird people and there are no chairs for me to sit on. Why do I want to go to dinner with you? I don't even know what is in that pasta salad. I don't know who made those cookies or whose hands have been in that chip bag. Why don't I just stay at home? I remember the potluck linger longers we had after church in Atlanta. Now there were some people that knew how to cook! That was really fun trying all that good cookin'.
I was invited to another potluck this week. What happened to the good ol' days when someone had a party and you didn't have to bring your own dessert? I love a good BBQ, but I'm just potlucked out.
well said emmy. potlucks are very hit and miss. although depending on the host and invitees, you can probably do a pretty good job at predicting how it'll go down. ;-) better luck next time!
ReplyDeleteha ha! you crack me up. Brings me back to old " break the fast-s" at BYU....always a random smattering of food and most being a mystery.....
ReplyDelete